I Blog For You

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Anyone Create Jewelry?

I’ve just spent more time than I had on a fruitless search for jewelry blogs. I love handcrafted jewelry and wanted to discover and share something remarkable. What I found were sly attempts to disguise advertising as a blog – there are plenty of those. Apparently someone is spreading the word that if you call it a blog, people won’t notice if every “article” is a photo of design F-3498 from your catalog.

No, I was looking for honest to goodness blogs about jewelry design and jewelry making. I know that artists love to talk about their work, sometimes in much more detail than anyone else can tolerate politely.

I can say that because I used to call myself an artist. A dozen years ago you would have found me with stubby fingernails and perpetually gritty clothes, happily ensconced in my studio creating and executing original designs in stained glass. Of a Thursday morning, several times a year, I would load my van with plastic crates and knock-down wooden tables. By the evening I would have transformed an 8’ x 10’ square of cement at some fairground into a display of light and color designed to delight the eye and part admirers from their money. Friday through Sunday I smiled, answered questions, and looked politely interested when a woman exclaimed that her 8 year old had learned to make stained glass “just like this” at camp one day.

You may have noticed I don’t do that any more. Wonderful it was, profitable it was not. So I went back to a “real” job for a while.

But I know there are hundreds of talented artists and fine craftspeople creating and selling their work. Creativity isn’t restricted to one medium per person, so why don’t jewelry makers also write blogs? Will I also find a dearth of fiber artists or wood turners or weavers? Stay tuned….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home