I Blog For You

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Where Are the Reunion Blogs?

There are millions of blogs, and the blogosphere is growing exponentially. So why is it that I seem to find uninhabited niches? In this case, school reunions. Googling turns up very few blogs, and Technorati brings up scores of people talking about their reunions, but not blogs for the reunions.

High school reunions are on my mind because we are just back from a bittersweet weekend in New Jersey. A dozen of my husband's fellow graduates got together for a high school reunion, tagging along on the reunion activities of the class after theirs. I went along and enjoyed seeing him reconnect with people he had known all those years ago.

What I found most interesting was how the years fell away as people met, and even more, the differences that separated them back then also disappeared. The bitter side of the sweet was what has happened to that school since they graduated, and how it is struggling to pull itself back up to the stature it had when they were students.

This trip made me wonder whether I should go to my own high school reunion in October. I was one who couldn't wait to get out of high school; it was a painful time for a wall-flower, aware as I was that I was not "in" or even close to it. Until this weekend, I had only some curiosity about the reunion because I thought those same divides might carry over the decades.

Now I think, if I've changed as much as I have, of course others have as well. What intriguing life stories might be waiting for me to hear? What would it be like to revisit the town where I grew up after so long away? Could I reconnect with the friend from grade school who shares my birthday, or the woman whose parents were such good friends of my parents? Fascinating are the possibilities now.

A reunion blog could be a place to exchange information, post schedules, or share "then and now" photos - kind of your own corner of "Classmates" but without the cost. A blog is much easier to set up and maintain than a Web site, and thanks to services like Blogger, it's free. It can be as public or private as you like. So why aren't there more reunion blogs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home